Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Another Approach

The pain in my chin continues. The surgeon saw me for an unplanned visit this afternoon, took an Xray, and completed a thorough exam. Everything looked normal - which is very good; it's also a bit disappointing (in a very strange way) because there was nothing that could easily be fixed. He changed the rubber bands and evaluated my bite which "was as good as it was before the procedure." There are no plans to make make the bite better...

As a next step, the doc has prescribed Neurontin - a medication to control nerve pain. When the jaw gets moved, many of the nerves in the face get disturbed and these nerves need to reconnect as part of the recovery. For some people this can be a very painful experience - I may be one of those people.


My weight remains stable and my diet consistent. I'm still enjoying the daily walks. At this point, the walk is about 60-90 minutes through the hills of my neighborhood. It's not quite the same as climbing on a bike, but I'm glad be able to exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment