Friday, August 28, 2009

Probably Shouldn't Write This

I'm sure by posting this update, I'm going to curse any progress I've made. While I can't offer that "Great, and I feel rested" post, I can say that the past few nights have been "better." Although I'm only sleeping 5-6 hours a night, I have felt better during the day. The headache's gone, I'm not as tired, and I'm gaining some weight :-(

As for the rest of the healing process, here's where things stand today:
  1. Chin, lower lip, upper gums, and palette still numb, and improving
  2. Occasional jaw popping when yawning
  3. Eating many more foods, but nothing that requires serious chewing. Bread crusts still require a fair amount of effort, and usually are too hard form me.
  4. Sensation returning to the teeth, but they still have that wooden feeling
  5. Speech has pretty much returned to normal.
  6. Jaw mobility pretty good laterally and about 30 mm vertically (I didn't measure what it was pre-MMA)
  7. Strength - Slowly returning. I'm riding 2-4 times a week, and it's getting a bit easier. Prior to the surgery, I could do 7 pull-ups. Now, I'm down to 3. I'll need to start weight training.



3 comments:

  1. Hi pedals,

    I would like to know what kind of insurance you had that covered the mma. I have a low rdi but hope to go straight to the mma. I may have a hard time getting it covered by my insurance company blue cross but heard others may be better. Also, i am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the insurance approvals were handled by the surgeon's office. I don't know how the surgeon's offie interacted with my provider - sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having mma in 3-weeks. My insurance company is aetna, they have been great. Over the years they have covered various kinds of cpap machines, mouth insert which keeps the jaw forward at night, uppp and now mma. You personally need to take initiative and talk to both the insurance company and your surgeon's office. Make sure you get everything in writing! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete