Friday, August 7, 2009

"The Usual"

I'm back to my regular lunch at the office deli - I named it "The Usual" - roasted turkey with avocado & pepperoncinis. The only unusual part about "the usual" is the bread. Wheat bread is much softer than the preferred ciabatta a roll. Some say the whole wheat bread may even be healthier.

In the past week, my diet has expanded quite a bit. I can eat most foods that don't require extensive chomping and chewing. The teeth feel stronger, and as sensation returns, I'm more comfortable trying new foods.

Last week, I checked in with the doctor as well. The good news is that he expects the surgery recovery to be 100% (pain free, numbness will go away, jaw mobility will return, etc.) The unknown remains the quality of my sleep.

Over the past week, I've read up on sleep hygiene. The basics are pretty simple:
  1. Regular bedtime and wake-up time
  2. Don't nap
  3. Avoid alcohol
  4. Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bed
  5. Limit activities in bed to avoid reading and watching TV
  6. Exercise at least 4-6 hours before bed
  7. Don't worry, be happy

Most of the things on the list are pretty easy. However, the last one can be a bit tricky.

Last night, I slept for almost 7.5 hours. While I didn't feel "rested", I felt good enough to work out. I rode my bike about 45 miles at a moderate pace with some good hill intervals. When I returned from my morning workout, I felt fine. As the afternoon wore on, I became exhausted, and fell asleep for a few minutes while watching TV. The question I can't answer is was I exhausted from the workout, or from not sleep enough.

2 comments:

  1. I also found that working on my computer or anything that blasted light directly into my eyes right before bed was NOT on the list of good sleep hygeine. Of course that made my insomnia-driven web-surfing counter-productive and off limits, but it did actually help. I also got some tea at Cost Plus/World Market called Get Some ZZZ's. It has valerian root in it, and if I drank a cup of that while winding down for the night I fell asleep much more eaily...
    Hope that helps!
    Shelby (http://shelby.idstrom.com - dreamette)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete