Saturday, June 27, 2009

Progress Comes in Unexpected Ways

Today showed signs of recovery and improvement. But not in the way I expected.

I woke up after about 7.5 hours of opiate free sleep, feeling pretty much like every other day - tired. Since I signed up to do a 100 mile Livestrong bike ride in two weeks, and my longest ride since having the MMA is 30 miles, I planned a 60 mile bike ride today. Not knowing what to expect or how far I would be able to ride without "bonking," I met one of my riding buddies and we set out on our adventure. I rode 62.5 miles and climbed about 3700 feet of elevation.

While the ride wasn't easy, it wasn't as tough as I expected. The three reasons I came up with to explain today's positive experience were:

  1. Sleep is better than I realize - perhaps a sign that the MMA worked
  2. My weight dropped almost 10%, significantly improving my ability to ride at the same level as before, but not requiring as much power output
  3. I spent most of the ride drafting behind my friend so he worked harder than me

As far as the update on the MMA recovery, there have been several positive improvements. The chin pain is not gone, but no longer as strong. My chin "tingles" most of the time, so the nerves should be firing. However, one of my molars has become very sensitive when I bite. The surgeon says give it a few weeks for my bite to adjust. Worst case, my dentist will need to grind down the surface of tooth. (It's a crown). The gums are getting more feeling, but the teeth still have no sensation other than pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment